Monday 16 May 2011

Straw Bale Garden

     I have a HUGE garden spot here on the farm.  Most people say 'WOW', but I say 'YIKES!'.  This is the reason.  Sometimes in the country, you have low water pressure due to the type of system you have.  All our water comes from a well system, so the only pressure is from the tank in the house.  This tank is about a zillion years old.  (Carbon dating is still not in yet) So low pressure.  I have one outside tap on the house on the north side.  The garden spot in about 200 feet south of my house.  I think you are getting the idea.  By the time I connect various lengths of hose, the water coming out the end is a slow trickle.  So, no sprinklers, no watering with the hose, no nothin'!  I even tried a soaker hose in hopes of success.  It worked no too bad at the start of the hose, but at the end, again nothin'.
     In the past I have tried to use water from rain barrels and hand watering cans.  That gets old REAL fast!  So I have just been letting nature take it's course.  If something grows, then it grows.  If not, then it was never ment to be, right?   This has been successful in two ways.  First, weeds grow no matter how dry and hot, or cool and wet the summer gets, and second, I have had very poor harvests.  Sigh.
     That being said, earlier this year I was searching the web looking for plans and info on raised garden beds when I came across something strange.  People were planting in old straw bales. 
     'What a bunch of nut cakes!'  I said to myself. 
     'What's wrong with dirt?'  But being from the country it intrigued me and I started reading up on it.  Needless to say, I wanted to try it.
     I won't go into here how you get started.  You just have to search  'straw bale gardening' and you will find plenty to keep your reading for a while. 
     I used the straw bale that we had for our winter dog house.  They were already starting to decompose.

The winter dog house.
     Now I just had to get them from here over to the house.  They have to be close to a water source, as you have to water them twice a day, every day.
Good thing I have lots of help!


All ready
Then you have to water twice a day for 2 weeks
After two weeks of watering, they are ready to plant in.  Small plants can be put directly in the bales.
Here I have planted pumpkins.
     To plant seeds, you need to put some topsoil or potting soil on the bale first.  This is just to help hold the seeds in place.
I planted green beans in these bales
    So, that is basically it.  I will post more pictures as things start growing.  You can even plant things in the sides of the bales.  I might put some flowers in the sides.  First I want to see how it goes with the top.  Here is all the stuff I want to plant this year.  I think the cat is satisfied with my choices.
Also planted pumpkins and cucumbers.

1 comment: